Paternity establishes a number of important legal rights and obligations for both fathers and their children. Regardless of who is listed on a birth certificate, paternity confers the following rights on fathers:
- The right to challenge or stop the adoption of your child
- The right to establish visitation with your child
- The right to seek custody of your child
Paternity also confers the following rights on children, subject to certain conditions and requirements stated within the law:
- The right to child support from their biological father
- The right to medical coverage under their father’s plan
- The right to a father’s Social Security death and disability benefits
- Inheritance rights
At the law office of Heller & Heller we advise and represent fathers seeking paternity rights, as well as mothers seeking to establish the fatherhood of a child. Our lawyers prepare all necessary court petitions and papers and are prepared to help you assert your rights after paternity is established.
Contact the law office of Heller & Heller today to schedule a free consultation. Our attorneys will explain what needs to be done and will discuss in detail the rights and obligations associated with paternity.