Florida Child Support Attorneys

Child support is not a function of parental need nor parental rights, but of the needs and rights of a child. For that reason, it is mandated by the court and is not voluntary. Typically, the court considers the income of both parents, the amount of taxes paid by each, the cost of health insurance, mortgage payments, and other living expenses for which both are responsible. The formula used by the court to determine child support also takes into account the amount of time a child spends with each parent and any special needs they might have, whether educational or medical in nature. At the law office of Heller & Heller, our lawyers work closely with clients to explain the complex nature of child support and what they can expect to pay or receive in relation to their child.

Regardless of whether you are in the process of obtaining child custody and child support arrangements or would like to enforce a child support order, we can help. To schedule a free consultation, contact the law office of family law attorneys Heller & Heller today.

My Ex-Spouse Stopped Paying Child Support – What Can I Do?

Again, paying child support is not an option. If your child’s father or mother has stopped paying child support or decreased the amount ordered to pay, enforcement action may be necessary. At Heller & Heller, P.A., we initiate necessary enforcement proceedings, asking the court to consider wage garnishment and even jail in cases where a noncustodial parent simply refuses to pay support they have the means to provide.

I Lost My Job And Can’t Pay Child Support — What Are My Options?

The court will sanction an increase, decrease, or cessation in Florida child support payments when illness, job loss, or disability changes the financial situation of a parent. However, in order to avoid legal complications later, it’s essential that you notify the court of your situation and have any modification in child support payments made by the court. The court will look to the date you filed a modification for child support. Therefore, if you believe a modification is needed you should not delay filing your request with the court.

If you enter into an informal agreement with your ex-spouse without involving the court, neither one of you will be protected if legal problems arise later. Additionally, even if you and your ex-spouse get along now, something could change, leaving you exposed to an enforcement proceeding and an order to pay back child support.

Consult Experienced Florida Child Support Lawyers

If you have questions about what you will be required to pay or what your child is eligible to receive in child support, contact family law attorneys Heller & Heller today. We can evaluate your financial situation and advise you about what you can expect and explain the legal options available to you.

Ask About a Free Consultation • Credit Cards Accepted